[Dixielandjazz] RE: editing cutting cut & splice

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sat Jan 31 01:25:54 PST 2004

I'm 100% with Jim on that.
I personally worked in the editing and mixing of all my LPs and CDs, as
helper of my friend and producer a very talented and qualified
"tonmeister"  - if you don't know what that means, the man is a
graduated sound engineer AND also a graduated musician and maestro
(orchestra director), versed in all the latest state-of-the-art
technology as related by Jim. What can be done in editing it's beyond
imagination; and didn't take any value out of the recorded sounds, just
preserve what it's worth for posterity  - according to the artist's
judgement!
Unbelievable that could be otherwise!

Tito Martino

<<<<It's not immoral or non-musical, or anything else. It's just part &
parcel of the recording process, both studio & live.

I certainly wouldn't be worried about replacing a wrong note from
another take, or even from another part of the same song (or another!).
Live doesn't have to be nude & rude.  It can be dressed!

 I have been commissioned over the years to do that kind of work on
every type of music available, believe me.  It IS done....all the time.
It is part of the mastering procedure done on all recordings that are
given the full treatment.  Many, unfortunately don't get to the
mastering phase.

Mastering involves attention to eq, compression/limiters, filters, and
gobs of other tricks such as levelling (retouching levels of different
songs & even different parts of a song), spreading of the sound (opening
up the stereo image) & on & on.....after the editing has been done,
usually in the same house, all done on the already mixed product.