[Dixielandjazz] cut and paste/now Charlie Parker

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Fri Jan 30 17:49:07 PST 2004

Years ago when I first heard all the talk about Charlie "Bird" Parker I
thought what an interesting nickname, he must make beautiful music like
a bird. When I checked out some of his recordings my immediate reaction
was that I must have the wrong guy, this music can't be played by
someone named "Bird".

Then a few years back I saw a video interview with Jay McShann who
explained that when Parker was in his band during the Kansas City era
they traveled by cars from gig to gig over country roads that many times
went right through peoples properties and farms. There were always
chickens and other animals on the road that had to be shooed away and at
one of these farms Parker nabbed a chicken (apparently, commonly called
a "Yard Bird" at that time) and promptly carried it away to the home of
the people he would be billeted with that night, to be put in the stew
pot for dinner. The nickname "Yard Bird" was immediately given to Parker
and then subsequently was shortened to "Bird" over the years.

When I heard this story, the light dawned for me. Ahha, they nicknamed
him after a barnyard chicken!! How appropriate!! :)

Just my opinion, mind you. :)

Len Nielsen
victoria Canada

 > To me this is appaling unmusical crap produced by a demented follower
of one of the overrated musicians in the history of jazz music.
 > Just an opinion
 > Jerry,

Please, Jerry, tell us what you think.  Don't hold back.

Winkingly, from someone who agrees!,
--
Etc,

Rev M J "Mike" Logsdon, Deacon
http://www.naorc.org

In a message dated 30/1/04 17:39:35, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

<< One of my favorite listens is Charlie Parker. The most favorite of his
works,
for me, are the live recordings of his solos that Dean Benedetti made in
joints
on a reel to reel recorder following Bird all over the country. Released on
Mosaic, it is full of squeaks, bad sound, etc. However, for me, what
Bird say
via the horn on them is an incredible piece of musical history as well as a
great listen and insight into his incredible genius. >>

To me this is appaling unmusical crap produced by a demented follower of
one
of the overrated musicians in the history of jazz music.

Just an opinion

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.