[Dixielandjazz] Cutting & Splicing & Rearranging notes

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 15:54:29 PST 2004

> Jim  <kash at ran.es> wrote (polite snip)
>
>  I have been commissioned over the years to do that kind of work on
> every type of music available, believe me.  It IS done....all the time.
> It is part of the mastering procedure done on all recordings that are
> given the full treatment.

Yes, I agree it IS done. On virtually every record that anyone buys. That was what I said in the beginning of the thread.

There still remains a question as to artistic authenticity in a "live" recording. If what we hear is not what was played, at what point does the piece become the "art" of the electronic wizards? Or what Andy Ling brought up, objecting to the term "live
hologram". At what point will the performance of music become the performance of synthesizers? They swing just as much as jazz musicians, don't make mistakes, are cheaper to operate, don't behave erratically, smoke dope or chase women. A choice between
them is a no brainer.

Yes, the listener cannot tell the difference and it is still "art". But whose?

If it is OK, then we should expect the replacement of musicians with computers,  or canned music created by computers. No doubt the computer operators will eventually be outsourced to a cheap labor rate country also.

Seems to me we are being seduced by a desire for easy, readily available, perfection. I will not go willingly, firmly believing that it is better to be raped than seduced. Because in the case of a seduction, one becomes a willing partner to one's own
downfall. I prefer to fight.

And so my CDs, if we make any more, will still reflect what we played, warts and all. Doesn't seem to hurt sales to our fans as the two we made last year are already paid for out of sales and the first one is running low. (1000 runs each)

But, the holograms are coming. Time to get that re-training assistance. ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS to Pat Ladd. I'm with you. Maybe, we've become obsolete? Perish the thought.