[Dixielandjazz] Electronic Enhancment

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 13:07:09 PST 2004

> Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com (wrote)

> about Barbone's idea of an electronically created clarinet sound, or band.
>
> So what exactly is wrong with this? You are using a set of tools to
> apply your artistic skills and ideas to create some masterpiece.
> Just because you cannot achieve your desired result using a
> "real" clarinet doesn't make your artistic interpretation any
> less valid.

Nothing is wrong with it. It is just not live music that's all. It is unquestionably "music" and it is unquestionably "art". As you say, a valid artistic interpretation.

> People have been using the latest technology to create art for
> years.

A great point with which I completely agree

> I suspect part of the reason you dismiss this as a daft idea is
> that you cannot actually do it yet and so your live performance
> will still sound better than anything synthesised. Give it a few
> more years though and this might not be true.

I do not dismiss it as a daft idea. Only dismiss it if we call it "live" music. I am sure that instrument sound can already be synthesized pretty darn well. Not by me, but certainly by those who do it. It's the hologram part that has to be worked out.

However, anyone who has seen Magician's make Elephant's disappear, or David Copperfield walk through a solid wall knows that the days of the Fantasy Five + Two, "live in hologram", at Wembly Stadium are not really that far away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone