[Dixielandjazz] Radio Shows -- Length Of Cuts

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Fri Jan 30 09:25:12 PST 2004

A few days ago it was mentioned that Bill Haesler, on his radio show, will
not play a cut longer than 5 minutes.  I am wondering why?

When I was on the air in the Los Angeles Market, it was a non-commercial
station.  Thus, I did not have commercials to play.  I did have some PSA's
(Public Service Announcements).

I had no problem with playing cuts longer than 5 minutes.

The days of 78 records are gone.  Bands were limited by the amount of time
permitted when recording on 78.

When Zeke Zarchy was in my Great Pacific JB, it almost seemed as if an alarm
would go off in his head if we played a song longer than 3 minutes.  Zeke
had been in thousands of recording sessions when 78s were recorded.  But,
those days are gone.

Perhaps Bill could give us his thoughts, as a Jazz radio DJ?

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA  USA
Fulton Street Jazz Band