[Dixielandjazz] Cut & Paste on Recordings

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Fri Jan 30 15:15:21 PST 2004

Steve Barbone writes :-

> I figure if electronic enhancement is OK, then I am going to my
> musical computer in dial in my "ideas" about how I want to play
> clarinet. First dial in Artie Shaw's tone, then Pee Wee Russell's
> harmonic ideas, then Kenny Davern's control over the instrument,
> then Edmond Hall's fire, and finally Eddie Daniels facility. Why
> not, that's my "idea" of how I want to play, I just can't execute it
> right now (or ever). But since it is
> my original idea, I'll just do it on computer and patch it in. Heck,
> I'm only changing the "execution, not the idea.

So what exactly is wrong with this? You are using a set of tools to
apply your artistic skills and ideas to create some masterpiece.
Just because you cannot achieve your desired result using a
"real" clarinet doesn't make your artistic interpretation any
less valid.

People have been using the latest technology to create art for
years.

I suspect part of the reason you dismiss this as a daft idea is
that you cannot actually do it yet and so your live performance
will still sound better than anything synthesised. Give it a few
more years though and this might not be true.

Andy Ling