[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Russell

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 07:58:28 PST 2004

I respect those who don't care for Pee Wee Russell. However, music is
personal and, for me, Pee Wee Russell has 2 qualities for which he is
outstanding:

1) as an ensemble player, he supports the soloist and the ensemble sound on
tenor sax as well as clarinet.

2) as a soloist, he's creative, innovative, never dull, and he swings.

While many may be taken aback by his tone, it may take a while to
appreciate. Compare it to scotch whiskey. For more information about Pee
Wee, read "Pee Wee Russell: The Life Of A Jazzman" by Robert Hilbert.

I've never met Pee Wee except on record.

Stan
Stan Brager
Trombonist-in-Training