[Dixielandjazz] Re: Symphony players and rhythm sections

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 19:39:25 PST 2004

Randy Fendrick wrote: (polite snip)

> As for listening to the drummer in a jazz group.  I have always felt
> that that drummer is not the most important person in the rhythm
> section, but would argue for the bass player.  I have played plenty of
> small group things without a drummer.  I have even played big band gigs
> without a drummer.  The bass player sets the tempo, along with the bass
> line,  and sets up the chord structure.  The guitar player (banjo,
> piano, whatever) carries its on from there.  In the old days, with a
> four beat bass drum, in 4/4 time, yea, the drummer did it, but I think
> it was Philly Joe Jones, who said something to the effect that his foot
> got tired that's why he stopped playing on every beat and began to use
> the pedal as an accent tool.

Thanks Randy:

I totally agree. In the more modern jazz groups with whom I play, the bass
player is the time keeper and the drummer the accent man. However, in
those Dixieland groups with whom I play, the drummer keeps the time. Since
this is a Dixieland list, enough said.

Every once in a while I end up as a sideman in a group with a modern
drummer and an Dixieland bass player. Usually the bass player goes nuts
and says; "I can't hear "one".  Man what a drag. Our bassist, for example,
always needs to hear "one".

When neither claims the timekeeper function, it's hell.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone