[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 18:01:13 PST 2004

No, we prefer it that way. When I say "biggest" problem, in relative terms that
problem is very minimal. Like if I said Bill Gate's biggest problem was not
having enough money. That could be true, but in relative terms, not a "big"
problem at all.

Guitar and Bass have been gigging together for 40 years so they know what the
other is doing all the time. Bass plays tonic, never a wrong note. In some
Dixieland tunes guitar may not know a chord or too if we are doing it the first
time. (we do not rehearse). By listening to the bass tonic, he automatically
goes to a chord that fits.

If the guitar complains "I can't hear the bass", it is usually because the bass
amp is positioned so that the bass is in a direct line between amp and guitar
player. Sometimes bass man forgets to make sure there is a clear path from amp
to guitar.

The "problem" is minuscule, occurs very infrequently and is corrected on the
gig.

But I have to do it because guitar and bass, being together for 40 years,
sometime get touchy with each other. :-) VBG They ride to gigs together, have
known each other since childhood in South Philadelphia along with Frankie
Avalon, Mario Lanza and all the other Italians. It is really a lot of fun to
see the interplay between them.

Cheers,
Steve