[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bouncing Sound - Was Monitors03

Rev M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 28 10:58:54 PST 2004

> But I have a further, perhaps stupid, question. How do 100 piece symphony orchestras do it?  Do they all have monitors? Or do they block out the delayed sounds, or the sound in
> total and just follow the baton?

Others have already answered this, but I do have to say that the one,
and only, experiential lesson in this issue was during my college days
and the annual Polychoral Festival held at Calvary Presbyterian Church,
Riverside, CA, where choirs from all over Riverside and San Bernardino
would gather in the stone cathedral-like church (built in medieval
cruciform, though Protestant!) to sing poly-chorally.

We had it drilled into us before each rehearsal that we must simply
forget the "sound" exists, and watch OUR conductor, who was, in turn
forgetting WE existed and watching THE OTHER conductors, who were
watching him, who were watching each other, etc.  And since we were
greatly spread out (various parts of the ground floor, the balcony, the
chancel, choir loft, etc), it meant the conductors had to stand
essentially at near-right angles to their choirs so as to see the other
conductors without craning their heads too far.  My only regret is that
no recordings were made, to the best of my knowledge, so I never really
"heard" what it sounded like,
--
Etc,

Rev M J "Mike" Logsdon, Deacon