[Dixielandjazz] Monitors - Was recording Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 23:12:46 PST 2004

> <paul.edgerton at eds.com> wrote about sound delay. (polite snip)

> .the speed of sound is roughly 1100f/s. To
> have a one-second delay the other instrument would have to 1100 feet away.
> If the drums are only 15 feet away, that's a delay of about 7 milliseconds.
>
> This is an example of the Haas Effect, which says that for delays less than
> roughly 20 ms (the exact threshold varies among individuals) the delayed
> sound cannot be separated from the original. The ear hears it as one sound.
> Delays of more than 20 ms become two distinct sounds.

Thank you Paul. Our band never uses monitors and I was beginning to get an inferiority complex about not using them from sound guys who would tell us that we couldn't
possibly keep correct time without them, because of sound delay or inability to hear. None of us are ever more than 12 feet away from anyone else in the band, or more than 6
feet from the drummer. And we just have a "thing" about not using them. Hard to get us old guys to modernize, I guess.

So far, we've managed to keep time pretty well as evidenced by the swinging rhythm section heard on our live CD, recorded in a 1200 seat concert hall without monitors.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone