[Dixielandjazz] Drummers

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 27 19:47:20 PST 2004

Judie said re drummers
> Then I can only remark that you must be listening to the wrong groups.
Done
> well and done the correct way, you don't have to make noise to swing and
be
> hot.

No one is agueing about noise here Judie. It is about playing correctly,
playing hot and swinging. Sometimes this involves playing loudly, say behind
a six piece band in the out chorus. None of the great drummers were
shrinking violets. Try listening to the Eddie Condon Town Hall Concerts in
1944 available on Jazzology CDs. You will hear first class playing by Krupa,
Wettling, Joe Grauso, Cozy Cole. You will hear loud drumming and dynamic
drumming. You will NOT hear noise. Noise is not musical. If you are hearing
noise from drummers you are listening to the wrong drummers.
your Flam -boyantly
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com