[Dixielandjazz] Weakest Link

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Tue Jan 27 11:31:49 PST 2004

As a drummer and band leader I must say that the apathetic attitudes
exhibited by musicians on the bandstand are not limited exclusively to
drummers.  The most frustrating thing I experience is when a side man says
(10 minutes into the gig) "How long till we break?"

Thankfully, this doesn't happen to often.  I have experienced it in other
bands too.  I have told some guys (great musicians) to not take the gig if
they don't want to be there in the first place.

And of course there is the famous "side man salute" where all the guys raise
their left arm, rotate their wrist toward them and look at their watch.

Everyone on the stage must share equally in the excitement, musicianship and
entertaining show they put forth to the listening audience.  It is also
everyone's job to keep time (not just the bass and drummer) and find the
groove.

The band (chain) is only as strong or entertaining as it's weakest link.

Kurt