[Dixielandjazz] ART

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 20:26:33 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/26/04 4:34:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Form follows function, no?
>
> But now the question becomes "creativity". The first toothpick was indeed
> art.

YES, But Only because it was a totem pole in the hands of an irate "carving
artist" that refused to believe he really had no talent.  Artistically speaking
of course, therefore if a piece of bad totem pole art could be put to use as
a toothpick, pray tell then why can't we use a bad piece of canvas for toilet
paper when the newsprint runs out.  I again refer to my earlier posts
regarding impressionists art.

 But > what about the copies? Bill G's toenail clipping in a frame is indeed
> art, but what
> if you copy it?

practically impossible I say, nobody else has been alive and played a
washboard long enough to be able to properly duplicate the clipping,   ( he plays his
washboard with his feet, a feat no other drummer I know has been able to
master yet.)

> Picou's High Society solo is art, but what if you faithfully copy it?

That would be copyright infringement and get you fifty lashes with a wet
noodle if you got caught by the RIAA or BMI or ASCAP.   Unless of course you
listed it as "Traditional" public domain material for use by any who could play it.

> Me, I like Judie's definition. "Art is whatever the artist wishes it to be".
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Well if it's good enough for Judie It's good enough for me

Cheers

Tom Wiggins