[Dixielandjazz] Some questions on defining "Art"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:56:25 PST 2004

Hi all,

Russ writes:

>When I was in college we discussed the meaning of art and it seemed we
>concluded
>that art was something created by a person that was appreciated by other
>people.  The more people who appreciated it, the better was the art. Those
>creations that were appreciated by fewer people was not good art and a
>creation
>appreciated by nobody was not art at all.

This implies that "art" exists in a spectrum all the way from really bad
"art" to really good "art" and the determining factor is the number of
people who appreciate it.

But even so, "bad" art is still "art" in the same sense that "bad" feelings
are still "feelings."

The last sentence Russ wrote: " . . . a creation appreciated by nobody was
not art at all."

That goes back to the question "is a painting not hung in a museum, and
hence not appreciated by anybody, still "art?"

We're not gonna get anywhere on this debate because the word exists in too
many contexts and will not submit to any specific definition.

I suggest we forget it and decide that even if we can't agree on what "art"
actually is, we certainly know it when we see it (or hear it) .

If you call something "artistic" I promise not to disagree with you.

Cheers,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com