[Dixielandjazz] Some questions on defining "Art"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:47:40 PST 2004

Cees writes:

>   There is no art.

Well, there certainly seems to be considerable agreement among people that
there is!

>   There are people who declare something is art.

Does that make something "art?" or is crap that has been declared "art"
still crap?

>   Then there is art.

I can't agree that someone simply declaring something to be "art"
automatically confers this special status on it.

I just trimmed my fingernails. I took my right thumbnail clipping and put it
in a frame and hung it on the wall and declared it to be "art."  Am I or am
I not BS'ing you?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com