[Dixielandjazz] Tuba Fats Lacen

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jan 14 10:20:31 PST 2004

That is sad news indeed -

I met him many times while attending various JazzFests in New Orleans.
He was often in a hurry to get to another gig (sometimes as many as 5
in one day & night!) but other times he would just be sitting on some
bench playing his horn for fun or spare change. We talked about all
sorts of New Orleans tuba stuff - Brass Bands new and old style,
dixieland, getting kids interested in the music and how hard it was to
make a living playing jazz in New Orleans... he was quite a character!

Dave Richoux