[Dixielandjazz] Questions about Gigging

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Wed Jan 14 11:23:21 PST 2004

Shalom Kimberly,

I'll let some of our resident experts comment on your specific questions as they
can probably answer better than I can. I will make some general comments I hope
will be helpful.

First, and in my opinion absolutely most important, you need to look for
opportunities for large numbers of people to hear and see the band. There should
be something to see as well as hear -- costumes or uniforms of some sort, proper
blocking and presentation, connecting with the audience in various ways. Sounds
like the musical part is under control in your case, but that's only part of the
battle. Play on street corners downtown if you have to. Book county fairs, civic
events, community events, charity events, even if you do some for free or
relatively low prices. (Some pros prefer to do charity events for free instead
of accepting a low fee that give the impression they will work real gigs for
that amount.) Give out thousands of business cards and sell CDs. Put out a hat
or other receptacle at freebie gigs if appropriate. Often you will get a
respectable amount in tips.

Second, remember that most potential clients don't know anything about music.
Music is a problem they have to solve for their event, and if you can help them
solve it for a fair price, you'll get the job. My rule is to satisfy myself that
my band can deliver a performance that will be appropriate for the event. I
can't tell you how many times I've turned down gigs because people who heard me
play and liked what they heard, called and asked for my "country" band, because
that's what they thought it was called, and like an idiot, I told them I don't
play country, and recommended someone else, when they really wanted what I do.
So give them a demo CD or be sure they heard you, and tell them, that's what you
do. If they like it, you'll do the gig. If not, then no hard feelings. Don't get
hung up on terminology.

Why people think we're magicians with musical styles, I don't know. I was once
approached while playing banjo on the street, wearing a red vest, all white
clothes and straw hat, and asked if I play any middle eastern instruments, and
if I have a more middle eastern looking costume. I told him at first that I play
jazz, not middle eastern, but he for some reason persisted. So it happened that
I had recently bought a bouzouki and tuned it like a banjo, and I had a Turkish
vest and cap. Turns out he wanted the look more than the sound, so I took the
job on bouzouki and played my usual banjo repertoire on the bouzouki. Everyone
was happy.

Rule number 3 -- required viewing in my book is the movie version of the
Broadway musical "The Music Man". Prof. Harold Hill, the Robert Preston
character, is my hero and role model, except that I try to deliver the real
thing while he was doing a con job. But the success he had in bringing life to a
sleepy Iowa town just by introducing the idea of music into people's lives is an
inspiration to me. I've been trying to do a similar thing to Jerusalem. And with
some success!

Remember, you're in show business, not just marketing. Your marketing and
salesmanship should be part of the show. Learn a couple of simple things when
dealing with customers, like making your business card disappear when you hand
it to them, or pull out a balloon and make a flower or a dog. Or when they reach
to shake your hand, reach for theirs and miss, several times, or teach them your
band's secret handshake, or have a couple of good one-liners ready to make them
laugh. Only takes seconds, but it will make you memorable out of all the people
they have to deal with. Or carry something unusual with you. Can't tell you how
much fun I've had going through security checks with a rubber chicken in my bag,
or wearing a Sousaphone (might not be practical for you, but I play the thing).
Get the idea? People will remember you fondly, and want to deal with you. You
might have to work on your self-image and self-consciousness a little to get to
where these things work for you, but in my book it's worth it.

Good luck to you and the band,

Elazar
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band