[Dixielandjazz] RE: New song on the web dedicated to the DJML

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Tue Jan 6 14:51:05 PST 2004

Dear list mates from the DJML,

Together with my season Greetings, I wanted to send you as a Christmas
gift a song I composed upon words by W. Shakespeare.
The idea for this song came along almost one year ago when I answered to
some gloomy lyrics sent to the list by Steve Barbone, answering him with
some modified lines of Mr. Shakes.
Our list mate Meg Graf suggested to put music to the words.
The tune is ready now, with the valuable help of our talented list mate
Tamás Ittzés.  You will find a scanned printable copy of JAZZ TO HEAR,
in Tamás' site, click on

http://ittzes.bohemragtime.com

then choose the English menu and then click on "Scores" among the bottom
links.  If you have the software FINALE, you'll be able to download a
file and to actually listen to the tune.  I will try to record a version
of the tune with my Band, and will put the sound file on the web, too.

The VERSE is to be sung as a RAP (!!!) or any other way you judge
creative; then the CHORUS is to be played 4/4 with plenty of feeling and
swing.
You all are welcome to play the tune and use it or record it at will, no
royalties will be demanded. Hope you like the tune, wish you a big hit,

With my best wishes for a New Year full of Jazz and Truth.

		JAZZ TO HEAR
DEDICATED to the members of the DIXIELAND JAZZ MAILING LIST

Music by TITO MARTINO  arranged by Tamás Ittzés
Words by W. SHAKESPEARE and TITO MARTINO

VERSE:
Ah, the jazz years were sweet, and we had a good run.
We partied all night and we hid from the sun.
Jazz to Hip-Hop in one hundred short years.
You can't call that progress, not if you have ears.
What happened to music? Pray tell, where did we goof?
What happened to JAZZ? What happened to TRUTH?

CHORUS:
Jazz to hear, why hear'st thou Jazz sadly?
Blues with blues war not, joy delights in joy.
Why lov'st thou that which thou receiv'st not gladly,
Or else receiv'st with pleasure thyne annoy?

If the true concord of well tuned horns,
By unions married, do offend thyne ears,
They do but sweetly chide thee, who confounds
In singleness the parts that thou should'st bear.

Mark how banjo strings, resounding clear they ring,
Striking each in each by mutual ordering;
Giving ground to cornet, clar'net, trombone,

Who, all in one, one pleasing chord wail;
Whose speechless song, being many, seeming one,
Sing this to thee: "JAZZ is TRUTH, and shall prevail".

Tito Martino
Sao Paulo Brazil