[Dixielandjazz] Slides, etc.

Tom Saunders tcornet at webtv.net
Sun Jan 11 13:47:28 PST 2004

I agree with Ringwald that more people
should jump on the DJML bandwagon, but most of the subjects are very
well covered. My comments are not needed on banjos and washboards and
how a band sets up is up to that band. To my knowledge there is no rule.
With 6 men I
want the string bass between the piano and drums and te cornet (me) in
the middle of the front line. A grand piano only opens up one way and I
want the player looking at me. So, that only leaves
a question for the clarinet and trombone
and I really don't care what they decide.

I do have a slide story. About 30 years ago my band had a steady gig at
a club
in the Detroit area where there was a dance floor right in front of the
band. We
held the crowd by mixing the music menu with jazz and tunes they could
dance to.
One night a couple danced by the band and the button on the man's
sportcoat sleeve caught on the trombone spit valve,
yanking the slide out of the player's hand.
It shot across the dance floor like an arrow. This particular player had
quite a quick temper and I just waited fr the s___
to hit the fan, as he dashed across the room to find it. He brought the
slide back and after trying it a few times he announced that it worked
better than it had in months.
Have fun,
Tom Saunders