[Dixielandjazz] bio/survey info.

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jan 14 02:07:55 PST 2004

I'm a lover of OKOM who has done a lot of promoting & organising of Jazz events along with many other Melbourne (Australia), like minded volunteers for over 40 years.  I'm currently a committee member of the Victorian Jazz Club & have a weekly 2 hour radio program called 'Mainly Trad.' (disgusting name that I was not responsible for giving the prog.)  on 3INR, Melbourne.  I play penny whistle well enough to get a sit in with a few accomplished bands as a novelty act.  I guess you could call me a musician, DJ and promoter (amateur).
The Victorian Jazz Club is presenting a 6 hour Jazz concert at the Whitehorse club in East Burwood on Sunday 25th January featuring 6 of our best bands.  The event is an annual expo of OKOM that attracts 500 - 800 people.  We're winning younger listeners each year & have an active policy of involving kids via our subsidised jazz workshops.  Melbourne is Australia's 'home' of jazz & the scene is alive & well.  New Melbourne J.B at the VJC this Sat. night, Jim Cullum & Bob Barnard with 'Cornet Copia' concert on Sunday at the Bentleigh Club, jazz events in the parks & gardens around the city during our warm summer days & nights and we no longer even have the jazz festival as a formal umbrella organisation.  ( a long story, but it got hijacked by the 'Modernists', failed to get public support & died.)  OKOM is really cooking here.
Best regards to all listers & HNY.