[Dixielandjazz] Another veiw from the BRIDGE

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Jan 13 07:58:16 PST 2004

Nice to note my well-schooled brethren have pointed out the AABA or sonata form aspects of what we call the bridge in most tunes.
There is also another term for the bridge that older players (which definitely includes this fella) use, though I rarely hear it used lately. The bridge of a tune is also called the "Release."
Musical content: Please release me, let me go. Usually expressed just before hitting the release of "Idaho," another trap for the unfamiliar!
Don Ingle