[Dixielandjazz] Help?

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 12:20:59 PST 2004

Number 14 is driving me crazy.  It's *not* Sobbin' Blues, is it, surely?  The
16-bar strain is familiar to my aging brain, but certainly not the same as the
June 1923 version of Sobbin' Blues by the KOCJB.  In any event, the
introduction is *definitely* taken from "Don't Leave Me Daddy" written (words
and music) by Joseph M. Verges in 1916 and used in "For Me And My Gal" in
1942 - it was recorded by a Condon band the same year.  Could the 16-bar
strain be the verse?  (There's no verse on the Condon recording.)

There's a Trumbauer version, with vocal, but the vocal style (an early attempt
to reproduce instrumental solos vocally by a singer whose name I can't
remember, but Norman Field would know) is so eccentric that it's difficult to
tell whether there's a verse or not.

No more time for research - I have to go and fix my daughter's computer - but
I'll be back.

Cheers,

Tony.

--