[Dixielandjazz] Survey

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Tue Jan 13 10:15:11 PST 2004

Shalom Jazz Fans!

Somehow I missed the message with the survey questions. So now I will have to supply the answers to the questions without having
seen the questions. (Wasn't there a Johnny Carson routine like this?)

I am a professional musician because a) I decided to try to make a living playing music, b) people pay me to play music and I give
them legal receipts, c) I am registered with the Israeli government tax offices as a musician, and therefore am considered one by
the Israeli government and my accountant, and d) I carry an ax nearly everywhere I go and it is very difficult to stop me from
playing.

I live in Jerusalem, Israel, and perform all over Israel. Have also performed at one time or another in Holland, Germany, Hungary,
India, Thailand, Australia and of course, the US.

My main instruments are slide trombone (over 40 years), and tenor banjo (over 30 years). I also play tuba, cornet, valve trombone,
slide trumpet, washboard and kazoo. I have found in Israel that versatility is more marketable than virtuosity, although I try for
both.

I play Dixieland, Swing, Ragtime, Blues, classic Broadway and a variety of Jewish/Israeli/Klezmer music, and whatever else I think I
can make to sound good.

I have a developing band consisting mainly of Israeli students who I am teaching to play the instruments I play, and the various
jazz styles. We are called Doctor Jazz, and we get hired in configurations of 2 to 5 players -- not yet a full Dixie line-up, but
we're working on it.

I have no professional degrees or credentials in music, but I did do a minor in music while studying religion for my B.A. degree.
However, one of my lifetime goals, which will probably go unrealized, is to earn the degrees necessary to spell ABBADABBA after my
name. Perhaps I will be granted the needed honorary degrees posthumously.

I think that about covers it. If you have any other questions, you know where to find me.

Elazar Brandt
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band
Jerusalem, Israel