[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy band horn-placement

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:00:58 PST 2004

Just found a picture of Jimmy Stanislaus, he is (was?) indeed
African-American, and was at one time a professional boxer (lightwieight).
Turk met him in the late 1930's, and used to kid him by calling him
"Canvasback" Stanislaus. More in Jim Goggin's invaluable 'Turk Murphy - Just
For The Record', but I would guess this is the man you heard with Turk in
1977, Brian.

Mike.