[Dixielandjazz] The Bridge

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 22:48:27 PST 2004

Rebecca asks about the bridge.

The bridge is the "inside" section or the tune. For example the tune
"Back Home In Indiana" has no bridge, a rarity in compositions and the
fodder for various jokes like, "clarinet, take the bridge", or "Name a
bridge in Indiana". Dummy, there is no bridge in Indiana.

Typical Dixieland tunes have a verse and a chorus,

Typical chorus's, have a bridge. (except for Indiana)

The bridge marries the first section of the chorus to the second section
of the chorus.

Most songs are diagrammed thusly: a a b a (Note small letters as opposed
to Part A, Part B which use capitals. The first "a" section is the
melodic statement. The second "a" section is usually an exact repeat of
the first "a" melodic statement. The "b" part is the bridge and has
different chords from those of the melodic statement. The last "a" part
is the final repeat of the melodic statement. May not always have the
exact chords of the first 2 "a"s but is very close.

Example "I Can't Get Started" aaba below. (Words Modified because I sing
it to YOUNG girls) Kimmi, are you listening? Here I am at 70 singing
these words to your contemporaries and they love it because they
perceive me as harmless, and funny and we maintain eye contact
throughout the song.

I've flown around the world in a plane    )
I've settled Revolutions in Spain             )  a
The North Pole I have Charted               ) melody
But Still I Can't Get Started With You   )

On the Golf Course I'm Under Par            )
Steven Spielberg Has Asked Me To Star   )  a
I've Got a House, It's A Showplace            ) melody
Still I Can't Get No Place With You           )

Cause You're So Supreme, Lyrics I write of you Dream )
I Dream Day and Night of you and I scheme                 )   b
Just For The Sight Of You, but Baby                             )
Bridge
What Good Does It Do?                                                )

Madonna has asked me to Tea                                   )
And Brittany Spears Wants to Make Love with Me   )    a
Still, I'm Broken Hearted                                            )
Melody
Cause I Can't Get Started, With You.                         )

Many, many bridges are virtually the same chordal sequence. The most
popular bridge section is from Gershwin's I got Rhythm. Because so many
jazz tunes use this chord sequence, some players tend to dismiss those
bridges as the "Sear Roebuck Bridge" and consequently of little
importance. To me, the bridge is the "inside" of the tune and the as
marriage between the "a" sections vitally important to being able to
solo coherently. I was taught that if you play a casual bridge because
you are bored, you ruin the song.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone