[Dixielandjazz] Chimes Blues - Second Theme, etc.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 18:02:22 PST 2004

> Rebecca Thompson <rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net> asks

> So the phrase "the second theme" refer to a part of the original song we are
> used to hearing?  or a totally different tune?

Hi Rebecca:

Most songs have a verse and a chorus, or two parts. Other songs add an intro. And
other songs have as many as four, five, or six parts. So they might be talked about as
second themes third themes, etc., or Part A, B,, C, etc.

Chimes Blues when correctly played as written has the following.

Intro   -   4 measures
Part A - 12 Measures
Part B - 12 Measures
Part C - 12 Measures
Part D - 12 Measures

All are different and so one could say that Chimes Blues has 4 themes plus an intro.
So, as I see it there are 4 themes.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone