[Dixielandjazz] Cut #3

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 19:05:09 PST 2004

Hi Rebecca: the "second theme" would usually refer to the second part of a
tune (Chimes Blues has three, if you include the 'solo' Armstrong plays at
the end of the original King Oliver recording). Sometimes 'themes' are
referred to as 'strains'. Most rags, for instance, have three themes (or
strains!) characterised by different melody and in almost all cases
different chord sequences from one another, not to mention changing of keys
between one theme and the next. Buddy's Habit is a well-known classic jazz
example of the multi-themed tune - a 16 bar A theme, usually played twice,
then a 20 bar B theme (with breaks), then back to A, followed by a 4 bar
modulation from the key of Bb to the key of Eb for the third theme of 32
bars (this is known as the 'trio' ). This multi-theme structure is not to be
confused with the 'chorus and verse' structure of most popular music of the
20's and 30's, where the verse (again, in most - but by no means all -
cases) is usually shorter than the chorus: typically, 16 bar verse followed
by 32 bar chorus. Most tunes written for OKOM are multi-thematic or at least
have verse + chorus, but many are played today as chorus-only versions, a
great shame IMHOP. Sorry if this just complicates matters!

Cheers,

Mike D.