[Dixielandjazz] High notes on the clarinet

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 17:07:06 PST 2004

Listmates,

Gerard Bielderman writes (regarding clarinet high notes):

>Maybe some people will take offence with my remarks but I loathe Kenny
>Davern's high notes. In general I think he often misses the warm tone a
>clarinet can produce.

I suppose there are high notes which 'scream' in the ear and high notes
which 'delight' the ear. Perhaps sometimes it is the same note but simply
different ears.

I admire those reedists who have the technical expertise and the chops to
nail that high note but I must admit some distaste from time to time.

The clarinetist I hear most often going for the extreme upper register is
former Black Dog clarinetist David Poe.  I admire his ability but,
ooohhhhh(!), on those high notes I feel some discomfort in the area where
the ear drums meet the nerve endings.

I wonder why it is that someone's super high clarinet note sounds melodious
to me while someone else's (same pitch) sounds too sharp and shrill?  Is it
a matter of volume or self delusion or what?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I play really high notes on my washboard" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com