[Dixielandjazz] trombone slides

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Mon Jan 12 10:07:10 PST 2004

>What about a bass player playing arco?

     I haven't used a bow since I played shows in the early sixties.  I have
two French bows in my closet that haven't been used for years....and no, I
don't want to sell them.
     I also don't get to read a chart very often any more either.  It took a
long time to learn to play the changes I hear.  It's a lot more fun than
reading.  I have had discussions with 2 of my more legit friends about which
is more important: being a good reader or being able to play anything you
can whistle. (Neither are good fakers).
     My response was: If you ever develop a good enough ear to recognize the
changes and the ability to play what you can sing, you wouldn't give it up
for all the reading skills in the world.
      Pat Cooke