[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Bagpipers

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 11 15:00:56 PST 2004

> david richoux <tubaman at batnet.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> Rufus Harley is probably the most successful jazz bagpiper (modern
> jazz, not OKOM) - I have one of his albums and actually saw him live at
> a Scottish Games and Bagpipe Band festival in Santa Rosa (now held in
> Pleasanton, CA.)

Amen on Rufus Harley. He is alive and well in Philadelphia. Played a recent gig
where he showed up and sat in on "When The Saints Go Marching In". He was also in
the recent 2003 Philadelphia Jazz Musician Reunion Photograph along with 150 of
us local jazz musicians. Dressed in Americanized red white and blue kilts and a
Buffalo Head headdress. Looked very spiffy and he also played the "Saints" there
in City Hall Plaza.

It is a treat to see a black man playing bagpipes, usually dressed in traditional
kilts. Always confuses the Scottish visitors to Philadelphia as he is very
visible on the scene here, especially in Summer.

Also played 45 minutes of OKOM in the 1950s, with two bagpipers in NYC. Myself
and the rest of the Southampton Dixie Racing and Clambake Society Jazz Band with
Walter Bishop (one of Charlie Parker's frequent sidemen) on piano. That was a
kick too as I remember it.

A cyber buddy, John Pappas, pointed out off list that the definitive book on
Bagpipes is by "Baines". If interested, check it out on google. Also of note,
numismatics will be familiar with Roman coins that depict Nero playing bagpipes.
Some theorize that he played Bagpipes while Rome burned, not a fiddle. In any
even, we all know Nero was a bit wacky. Maybe those bagpipes are what drove him
over the edge? ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone