[Dixielandjazz] Banjo History -"hello!"

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sun Jan 11 13:17:04 PST 2004

Dear Dan,
Steve is correct in saying that the bagpipes were known to the Romans. In fact they go much further back than that, according to "The Oxford Companion to Music" (ed 10), which also says that "there is definite record that bagpipers were attached to the courts of many of the English monarchs for the three centuries...[after] the accession of Edward II (1307)". English colonisation didn't really begin until some centuries  later. I think it is unlikely that Africa had much, if anything, to do with introducing the pipes to "perfidious Albion" (not pig French, but Napoleonic "perfide Angleterre").
As for Gottschalk, there is an illlustration of the cover page to "The Banjo" in Fred Starr's book, "Bamboula", accompanied by a discussion of its two variants, opus 15 and opus 82. Some DJML membrs may know S. Frederick Starr, who was President of Oberlin College and clarinetist with the Louisiana Repertory Jazz Ensemble.
Two jazzmen are reported to have played the bagpipes - Albert Ayler (Feather/ Gitler's "Biographical Encylopedia of Jazz") and Stephan Micus (Berendt's "Jazz Book"). Any others? And, please,. no jokes about the amorous octopus! Cheers.
Fred

  Back to ----- Original Message -----