[Dixielandjazz] Re: School Band Directors

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 22:43:12 PST 2004

Great Post  by Pat Cooke Pat,

and telling it exactly like it is man.

I sincerely wish it wasn't true.

It is up to all of us and others like us to get involved and change the
system before it is too late and the only musicians coming out or the schools will
be turntableist yelping unintelligible lyrics over it.

The teachers have been uninspired for decades no wonder many of them can't
inspire kids to get into and stick with music to turn out any new legends.

I know first hand because I have three sons who showed immediate promise at
being good players and the system shut down after one year for them and there
was no music program.  They laid aside their instruments and went off into
other interests and never went back.  No hope of a future for it.

We must do something and everything we can to bring that back into the
schools and to the kids or indeed music as we know and love it will disappear
forever in a few more decades if not sooner.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins