[Dixielandjazz] Re: Female washboardists (was Ann Sortier)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 11 13:00:38 PST 2004

on 10/1/04 3:04 PM, Anton Crouch at a.crouch at unsw.edu.au wrote:

How many female washboard players do you know of? On record, I know of only
one - Ann Sortier, also known as Amanda Sortier, Amanda Porter and Ann
Sorter McCoy. I have some of her records and she is splendid.

Dear Anton,
I dug out my Ann Sortier records, and agree. She certainly knows what she is
doing.
However, I am sure you were probably referring to the 1920s-40s with your
question.
If not, then wot about my friends Beryl Bryden and Australian Sally
Iggulden.
The lovely and beautifal Sally is the sister of t/as player Brett Iggulden
of Red Onions Jazz Band fame and ex wife of that band's leader/dmmer Allan
Brown. Sally recorded (on wb) with the Red Onions in 1963-64. Only 3 tunes
unfortunately. Real OKOM stuff. "It's Tight Like That/Cushion Foot Stomp/New
Orleans Stomp".
Sally was/is the proprietor of Sally Brown Fashions.
In the history of Oz jazz there are (in my opinion) only 4 great washboard
players.
Roger Bell, Len Barnard, John Sangster and ....Sally Iggulden.
Kind regards,
Bill.