[Dixielandjazz] RE: young jazz players

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 04:42:17 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/9/04 12:22:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tmartino at terra.com.br writes:

> But the main problem isn't actually the AGE; but the WAY of playing!
> My Band (or Barbone Street Jazz Band, age average more than 60) we play
> in such a manner to bring to standing applause the YOUNG parcel of our
> audiences; but my friend Missali plays a rather stiff music to older
> people.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Tito "old boy" Martino
> Sao Paulo Brazil

I learned a long time ago that contrary to popular beliefs here in the USA
anyway , that indeed "All Black Folks can't Dance or Sing"  and that all people
who claim to be musicians can't play music.   Play notes on a paper yes
flawlessly, but they can't play MUSIC and feel it and reinterpret it to the audience
so that they feel it and can relate and react to it.

It is not so much the music that is played, but the Musicians and How they
Play it.

Some can and some can't no matter how hard they try.

It is indeed a difficult thing to sort out and come to any reasonable
conclusion about, that will satisfy all of us, so the sooner we all agree to disagree
and remain friends the better, we are all blessed to be able to even play the
game at any level.

So whether you play the Flea Market or the Super Market have fun and make
others have fun, if you can't do one or the other then go home and let some do it
who can, or sit in the audience or get up and dance and have fun and buy a
CD.   Life is all too short, Be Happy.

For the young bands and players, there is no substitute for experience, for
the older players, it is our duty to provide them with that experience any way
that we can otherwise they will never get it.   Who else is gong to create a
situation to give it to them?

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins