[Dixielandjazz] What is an ax?

Elazar Brandt larryb at actcom.co.il
Sat Jan 10 09:12:55 PST 2004

instrument?"<

Bill, your problem is not in defining a "musical instrument", but in defining
"music". A musical instrument is a device -- could be anything, even a part of
the body -- that is used to produce music. But we once had this discussion on
DJML about how one defines "music" as opposed to "noise". For instance, if I
drop a pair of cymbals on a marble floor while setting up my high hat as I once
did, the sound was produced by a musical instrument, but was it music? The
audience didn't think so!

> There is a subsidiary question . . . What, precisely, are the qualities that
establish one instrument as "superior" to any other particular instrument?<

Now that's an easy one. Any instrument with 4 strings or that can be played with
thimbles is obviously superior!

By the way, who suggested that a kazoo might not be a musical instrument? Ever
notice the difference between someone who knows how to play one and someone who
doesn't?

My banjo student/partner and I do a lot of duo work on the street. Between us we
have a banjo, sometimes 2, tuba, trumpet, trombone, washboard, 2 kazoos and
sometimes a ukulele and a high hat cymbal. When you play on the street, setting
up is part of the act. While tuning up, we always tune the kazoos. Gets a good
rise out of the crowd, and then we dive into our opening song, which usually
features the kazoos.

One more "note": Keys can be a great rhythm instrument. I often have the
audience take out their key rings and get them playing rhythm. Once they have a
clear beat, I play some stop-time number, like "Me and My Shadow", and if they
are keeping the rhythm going, I give the audience a solo in the middle of the
tune. I have some venues where they specifically request that routine when I am
invited back.

Alright, alright, so I was going to keep quiet, but Bob Ringwald did ask for the
lurkers to speak up, and I haven't posted for awhile. I'll go back to my room
now.

Elazar
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band