[Dixielandjazz] Re: Vocal bass (was : A matter of substance)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 10 14:28:26 PST 2004

Dear Anton,
I have 5 of the Yas Yas Girl (Merline Johnson) sides from 31 August 1939.
As you would probably have guessed.
The Alfred Elkins' 'vocal bass' is exactly that. A credible imitation of a
string bass, with Elkins "doo-dooing' in time with the music, in tune and
chordally  correct. To the casual listener it would sound just like a double
in the manner of (say) blues bassist Bill Settles.
I do not have the Monkey Joe sides.
I also have 3 sides from the Jazz Gillum session of 20 March 1941, the whole
of the Yank Rachel session of 11 December 1941 (plus the 3 April 1941
session) but not the Joe Williams session of 12 December 1941. Alfred
Elkins' bass cano on these sounds to me like a single string imitation bass.
Could 'cano' be an abbreviation/mishearing for 'canon' or a European name
for 'canon' - in music: strict imitation or a composition in which strict
imitation plays a prominant part. (Source: A Dictionary of Music. Penquin
1950).
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: The Jazz Gillum and Yank Rachel sessions mentioned above include the
wonderful  Washboard Spam (Bill Broonsy's brother-in-law, as I recall).
Thanks Butch. Loved that email squelch.
8>)