[Dixielandjazz] Re: Kids relating to kid bands - Can Old Folks do it too?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 9 17:44:42 PST 2004

> "kymmi smith" <coneyislandgirl at softcom.net> wrote
>
> Bob Romans hit the nail on the head with that one.  There is a difference
> watching a *cough* mature band, then watching a group of someone their own
> age.  When we see our peers up on stage, playing their jazzy hearts out, we
> realize how attainable this is.  It's not that *mature* bands aren't cool,
> (they are the most musically developed and experienced), but it seems more
> of a fantasy to see *mature* musicians who have been playing for 50+ years.
> What the jazz circuit needs now is a young group that appeals to both young
> and old.  Cool enough for the young audiences, decent (and modest) enough
> for the elderly audiences.  Circuit bands that are in mid-age (i.e. Blue
> Street, Cornet Chop Suey, Titan Hot 7) go over really well.  *shrugs*
> That's just my opinion.
>
> kymmi "this-trigonometry-aint-gonna-finish-itself" smith

Yes, out of the mouths of babes. You are so very right Kimmi. Most Old Folks Bands just do not
cut it with the kids.

HOWEVER, there are some exceptions. Like Barbone Street here in the Eastern USA that has been
appealing to the kids for some 10 years now. I have written numerous posts on why we do it and
how to do it, but they are mostly ignored.

In fact, I wrote a 5 page "how to do it" treatise and offered it free to anyone who wrote me
for it. Again, virtually ignored by DJMLers. Probably because they saw the "subject line" and
immediately deleted it (Old Folks seem to have short attention spans and limited curiosity) I
probably don't have it in my files anymore because of lack of interest.

OUR audience is 21 to 45 years old, mostly female. They adore us because we treat them like
people, instead of idiots.
We flirt with them, tell them they are beautiful, sit them on the bandstand with us, sing love
songs to them, tell risque jokes to them, tell risque stories about how jazz began, include
their names in songs like How Come Ya Do Me, or I Want A Little Girl, or The Million Dollar
Secret, Or Ain't She Sweet, we drape them with Mardi Gras Beads, etc., etc.., etc. All the
while playing some of the most swinging Dixieland you ever heard. And of course, where the
girls go, so do the boys. And they get together and dance.

Many on the DJML think that what we do is crass. They want their music without applause, or
talk, or the bother of swing dancers in front of the band. That's OK too, so buy somebody's
CDs and listen in the silence of your study. Don't come to see us, or bands like ours, because
you will be disappointed at the noise and the interaction between the young audience and old
band.

Our band Average age is 70. We are OLD, but we are not dead yet. We have fun, and the YOUNG
audience has fun. They ask us to play their parties at local colleges and universities, they
ask us to play at their weddings. And we do, playing real, jazz for young marrieds. Best of
all, it builds a bridge between the ages of people who attend weddings.

We also drape beads around the real kids, 5 to 15, at our street festival gigs and other
places where the real young kids are. We tell them they must dance in front of everybody . . .
and they do. You should see their faces light up.

As you hinted, there are exceptions to the "Old Band's Can't Attract Kids" rule. We are one,
and we know there are more out there. That is why we are commercially successful and get paid
well for our performances. I guess that makes us professionals. Yes, we need "young" bands to
play for "young" kids. But as I see it, at 70 we are a "young" band because that's the way we
think. And, it works.

By separate e-mail, I am forwarding a few jpegs of old jazz men and young audiences. Only the
"G" rated ones, as proof that what we are doing to keeps this music alive with younger
generations.

Rule Number 1 for bands that want to keep playing. "Play where the kids are."  Realizing that
the Festival Circuit is not where its at. The circuit is closer to nowhere as we see it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone