[Dixielandjazz] What is an ax?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 21:30:39 PST 2004

Listmates,

Charlie Coleman asks:

>, , , does the JUG also qualify as a musical instrument in the same manner
>as a washboard?   (See many of the Jug bands of the 20's)  Or possibly even
>a kazoo (Red McKenzie, et al).  If that is the case, is it possible to
>construct an OKOM band WITHOUT conventional instruments?

OK OK OK . . . This brings us around to "What is the definition of a musical
instrument?"

You know, we had a bitch of a time trying to come to some sort of agreement
as to just what our sort of jazz actually is.  We kinda settled on "OKOM" as
the acronym of choice to deal with that problem.

Let's see if anyone can come up with a succinct definition of "Musical
Instrument" that makes everybody in here happy.

There is a subsidiary question . . . What, precisely, are the qualities that
establish one instrument as "superior" to any other particular instrument?
what criteria do you use? Or can such a distinction be made?

Is a banjo ever superior to a violin?  etc. etc. etc.

Respectfully challenged,

Bill "Plays a superior ax" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com