[Dixielandjazz] Attn. All Members/DJML Member Survey

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 14:25:12 PST 2004

In a message dated 01/09/2004 12:02:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jpettjazz at btinternet.com writes:

What is a professional musician?

One who does the above from choice and commitment to the music, without
subsidy from a day job or a pension. There are some musicians on the UK jazz
scene who have taken early retirement who now play full time and yes they
are professional musicians, but the relatively few true pros have learned to
exist on their wits and abilities, without any financial safety nets.

Wow!  How anyone could make such a broad and ludicrous statement is beyond
me.  I have know many extremely talented professional musicians over the years
who do not solely derive 100% of their income from music.  In fact, if you look
at the history of some of the more prominent musicians of traditional jazz,
you will most certainly find that many...if not most of  these professional
musicians had other forms of employment while they were playing.  To state that
one needs to live on music alone to be considered a professional musician is
ridiculous.  The school systems are replete with teachers who are professional
musicians, as is the business community.  And, while they do not solely rely on
music for their livelihood, I can personally assure you that these fine
professionals have undoubtedly "paid their dues."

You need to rethink your statement.

 Lewis D. Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC
trumpet/leader
Bourbon Street Brass