[Dixielandjazz] Youthful musicians...our "future"?

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 10:17:07 PST 2004

Good post, Paul!
Those old guys learned their craft from listening to older guys, and hanging
out jamming 'til the wee hours...cutting contests, no sleep, living for the
music, not playing just when there was nothing else to do! Watch the youth
bands that play in the jazz clubs today...and my bands were no
different...after their set/sets, they split! Their parents "have to go
shopping", (They are "Baby Boomers who cut their musical tastes on the
Beetles and before), or have to hurry home to the TV...any number of
reasons/excuses not to stay around! While waiting for their set to start,
where are the young jazz players? Out hanging out in front of the club, not
sitting right in front of the band that they follow trying to pick up some
new licks!
One exception...my first band, The Riverboat Rascals...at the Great
Connecticut Jazz Festival in 1990, couldn't be PULLED away from "Uncle
Yoke's Black Dawg Jazz Band"! Steve Yokum then followed THEM around, and at
their last set, he had them autograph his program! What a guy!
Try to get most of the front line band members of a youth band to play Happy
Birthday in two or three keys! They HAVEN'T learned their instrument! For
all the good it did, I used to tell my band members they should be able to
play any tune they can whistle...or sing. It is HARD to get the kids out to
the jazz clubs to sit in, except for maybe a drummer...
This is why I won't start anymore youth bands...
1. The Riverboat Rascals...2 still play
2. The Hot "N Tots...............2 still play
3. The Alley Cats................. 1 still plays...
4. The Barkin' Dawg............still going strong
5. The Alligator Stomperz...unknown, have broken up, still playing in high
school bands.
Off my soapbox, and away into the fog!
Bob Romans
Cell Block Seven