[Dixielandjazz] A matter of substance (vocal bass, etc)

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Jan 9 09:25:30 PST 2004

As far as I can find from recordings i have and web research: There
seems to be no substance to the "vocal bass" - it is all done with the
voice! If you listen to groups like the Mills Brothers or countless
other quartets and such you will hear all sorts of instruments but
probably the only "real" one is the guitar.

(to get back slightly to the "Rap" thread - there are quite a few
"Human Beat-Box" performers who can sound just like a programmed
electronic drum machine!)

As for the  Bass Cano - I don't find any references except some blues
recordings and maybe a link to Irish music. However, there are some
very interesting horns I have heard made of bamboo that sound much like
a saxophone - check them out at various places on the internet with a
search...

Dave Richoux