[Dixielandjazz] Banjo's & Washboards - Was "something substantial"

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:54:44 PST 2004

I think the banjo goes back even beyond that, all the way to the West
African 'banya', a stringed instrument played by the 'griots' or
praise-singers of the region and made from the dried out shell of a large
gourd (Source - blues scholar Paul Oliver). As for the Scots, one sat in
with my band last night ON BAGPIPES - he played When You And I Were Young,
Maggie, in the key of E-flat. The audience loved it (no comment).

Mike D.