[Dixielandjazz] Attwell - Black & White Rag

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Fri Jan 9 04:41:35 PST 2004

Centuries ago when I first began making piano rolls Attwell's honkytonk
version of Black & White Rag was one of my earliest efforts. I did it from
the published sheet music which was surprisingly faithful to her '50s
recording, it was a massive hit for her as I remember although her piano
playing style put many ragtime purists' noses out of joint.

It was also a hit for me, to satisfy demand I had to reissue the roll five
times - thanks Winnie! Her recording was also used as the signature tune of
a British TV snooker programme called "Pot Black", which I believe sparked
off a resurgence of enthusiasm for the tune.

As for the Eminem recording under current discussion I have not heard it and
with luck never shall.

John Farrell