[Dixielandjazz] HELP NEEDED

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 14:00:42 PST 2004

<<Please send suggestions on how to pack a snare and cymbals for air travel.
Jim has a case for his snare, but I am wondering if  and when the baggage
handlers THROW it around, it will burst open.  The cymbals seem to be a
little oversized for carry on.

He is flying Southwest.

Thanks.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, Texas>>

I would suggest that he use a hard, square "road case" type case for the
snare. If you can't get one of that type, then at the VERY least, use a Humes &
Berg Eduro with padding. An SKB will also work. Just make sure the snare he
takes is not replaceable.

A better way is to pack the above in a cardboard box and tape it well, then
ship via UPS. In advance.

Regarding the cymbals, have him use a padded Zildjan cloth case and have him
carry no larger than a 20 inch cymbal. This way he can carry it with him on
the plane and it will fit into the overhead. NEVER, EVER check cymbals.

If he should choose to disregard the above recommendation, then ALWAYS is a
squared "ROAD CASE" for checking.

My cymbals never get checked. I just tell the folks they're priceless and
irreplaceable . . . and they ARE.

Hope this helps!
Bill
414-777-0100