[Dixielandjazz] In defense of Washboards

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 16:14:28 PST 2004

> "Kurt" <bowermastergroup at qwest.net> wrote (polite snip)
>
> By the way, does anyone know when the washboard was first used in OKOM?

Yes, they were first used by the towel boys at LuLu White's Bordello in 1909 to clean up the bed sheets etc. Jelly Roll Morton upon hearing and falling in love with that rhythmic sound added them to his whorehouse piano playing gigs and the rest is history. ;-)

In defense of Washboards, I have been playing in a rehearsal band locally, The Red Lions, led by Tex Wyndham every Tuesday night that we can get together. West Coast Revival Style with at least 800 obscure tunes, 500 semi-obscure tunes and 200 war horse tunes in the book. We lost our Tuba guy when he moved to Texas, (Dave Stoddard)
so we now use a Bass Sax. We also lost our drummer who moved to Albuquerque and never replaced him so we are Cornet, TBone, Clarinet, Banjo, Piano, Bass Sax.

Two weeks ago, our ex drummer visited, sans drums, but used Tex's washboard at the session. He played straight washboard rhythm throughout. (Roger Hailstone) It was a real treat to have a steady washboard player, pushing the beat and helped us all realize that in capable hands, a washboard sure beats the hell out of a no drummer
band.

The Red Lions play about 5 gigs a year in West Coast Revival Style locally and are working next on Feb 22 for the Tri State Jazz Society in New Jersey and again on Fat Tuesday 2/24, with a sub for me, covering a Barbone Street Mardi Gras gig at one of our five Mardi Gras Parties at local Iron Hill Brewery Locations. They'll be in
Wilmington DE, at the Riverfront IHB. 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone