[Dixielandjazz] Yama Yama Man, / Steve Barbone / Don Ingle

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:51:27 PST 2004

Yama Yama: Paul, where did you find the info about the lyric concerning
'stage-door johnnies'? I'm now quite hooked on finding out all about this
thing. I saw references (can't remember where, dammit!) to Halloween in
regard to the song, which would fit the lyric as sung by Jimmy Stanislaus
with Turk's band. The original sheet music, on file at the University of
Indiana, has words like Jimmy's, and nothing to do with stage doors!

"Every little tot at night is afraid of the dark you know
Some big Yama Man he sees when up to bed he must go....etc, then the chorus:

Yama Yama, the Yama Man, terrible eyes and a face of tan
If you don't watch out he'll get you without a doubt
If he can"   etc, etc.

Did your lyrics maybe come from one of the two films that featured the song
- it was in the 1939 RKO Rogers/Astaire "Vernon & Irene Castle Story" and
again in Warner's "Look For The Silver Lining" in 1949.

Any help you can give much appreciated: and I too love Monk, I keep hearing
echoes of Jelly Roll and the stride guys in his playing, also love his
compositions....

Yours from behind the big chair,

Mike D.