[Dixielandjazz] Washboard concert

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:41:45 PST 2004

Kurt asks:

>By the way, does anyone know when the washboard was first used in OKOM?

Most likely around the early 20s in New Orleans. I have some video tapes
featuring vignettes of early N.O. small OKOM folk and jazz bands which show
the washboard in use. One particularly interesting clip involved two guys
and a woman. It was a "contrived" performance but very amusing.

A woman is seen washing clothes with washtub and washboard out in the back
yard. She goes into the house leaving the washboard in the tub. Along comes
her "musician" husband who says "My woman done been usin' my instrument for
washin' the clothes." He snatches the washboard, shakes off the soapy water
and goes to meet his ukulele playing buddy. They sit down and the
washboardist says "Whut we gonna play?" and the uke player starts strumming
a jazzy little riff. The washboard player reaches into his pocket, pulls out
a kazoo, sticks it in his chops and kazoos away while strumming the
washboard (on his lap) with thimbled fingers.

I don't know the name of the tune but it was a delightful sequence. Hadda be
early 20s.

Ralf Reynolds has made a pretty thorough study of this matter and he love to
talk about it.  If you see him ask him that question (When was the washboard
first used in OKOM?).

Warmest regards,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com