[Dixielandjazz] Washboard concert

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:23:22 PST 2004

Hi all,

Mike Short asketh:

>Does anyone remember the first meeting of the International Washboard
>Society
>in Sacramento, I think it was 1985.  About 100 washboard players, Robbie
>Rhoades on piano, Bob Rahn on tuba and Leon Oakley on trumpet.  I've never
>laughed
>so hard in my life.

Do I remember!!! I'm the guy who organized the first Washboard Concert in
Sacramento, but it wasn't '85, it was '83 and it started pretty small. In
'85 Robbie Rhodes played piano and he wore a hard hat to the gig. Very
funny!!!

For the last dozen years or so the rhythm section from High Sierra has been
the back up . . . Bruce and Stan Huddleston, Earl McKee along with Ken
Keeler and a few others from the Devil Mountain Jazz Band.

For an overview of the event you can log onto a wonderful website called
Washboards.com. It gives a good rundown of many current washboard players.
You can also read about the history of the Sacramento Jazz Festival
Washboard Concert.  Just click on this:

http://www.washboards.com/history.htm

By the way, it has been 22 years since we started it and it's still going
strong in Sacramento. For whatever reason it has become one of the more
popular concerts of the entire festival . . . go figure!!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com