[Dixielandjazz] WAS Band set up now/poem in progress IS washboard position

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 13:45:55 PST 2004

Guys -

I hope all of you are better musicians than poets - I know I am.

Seriously, I've suffered through Kurt's washboard flights of fancy.  He
actually is pretty good on it, and I sat for years next to Mike Schwimmer, one of
the best.

Does anyone remember the first meeting of the International Washboard Society
in Sacramento, I think it was 1985.  About 100 washboard players, Robbie
Rhoades on piano, Bob Rahn on tuba and Leon Oakley on trumpet.  I've never laughed
so hard in my life.  Of course, I've got a lot of room to talk.  I belong to
the International Tuba and Euphonium Association (ITEA, formerly Tubists
Universal Brotherhood Association, TUBA).  You should see (or HEAR) OUR conventions!

Mike Short
Des Moines tubist